Friday, July 13, 2012

flattened.

There are people who Major in eloquence. Their outgrown bedroom slippers shine with it, they quip the way I snore (effortlessly and with Great Abandon) and they can talk their way out of ...of....a polar bear's jaws, I imagine.

And, then, there are people like me, who majored in 'foot in mouth disease' in college.

(Or was that just co-authoring 'Verbal Mortification for Dummies'?)

Eloquence is what I could use right now.

My dear young cousin Tina struggled against her failing health...until she really didn't have much left to work with. And then her spirit flew free.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There are many ways to write about loss, but this loss isn't mine to write about. I have gratitude for the care she received in her final weeks, but the pain she lived with for the last three years is nothing you can address in a quip, or epigram.

She was blessed with dear friends, a fiercely devoted mother,  a loving brother with a wonderful family, and a a large extended family, and I think all of us are feeling pretty flattened. Long-term illness can wear at people, even when they aren't the actual victim. So....how does it demolish the will of the ill?

I sent sunflowers, for her, and as a tribute from all her cousins who share her generation. Recognizing genuine good, and joy, is hard from this vantage point. Some of Tina's family - as many as could come - shared her final three days in the hospital. Not because they are heroically selfless people, but because they are family - and wanted to help carry the burden of sadness for awhile.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


There are days when we question 'why'. Why are we here?

Carrying the burdens makes the joyous times so much sweeter - maybe that is part of it.


This post, on review, is clumsy, half-articulate, and....lacking, I suppose. On the other hand, that pretty much sums up how I feel.

That, and rather flattened.

But I leave you with this - that when (not if) this road is what you walk, I wish that your friends and family - and maybe even complete strangers - show up when you need them. Even if you think you don't.

And they do what we did.

We tried to help carry the burden.

s.


No comments:

Post a Comment